Vocal Ensemble @ Sibelius Summer Academy 2021 - Sibelius Summer Academy
Vocal Ensemble @ Sibelius Summer Academy
All the Sibelius Summer Academy courses 2021 follow the general University of the Arts guidelines concerning the COVID-19 situation. Read the latest guidelines on the university webpage and are subject to changes at any time, according to the pandemic situation.
Vocal Ensemble @ Sibelius Summer Academy course, featuring Theatre of Voices, runs from 16-21 August 2021. The focus of the course will be on repertoire composed between 1570 and 1830, with a particular emphasis on the vocal quartets of Haydn.
The Vocal Ensemble @ Sibelius Summer Academy is inviting applications from existing vocal ensembles. University-level students of singing may also apply as individuals.
What? Vocal Ensemble @ Sibelius Summer Academy course, featuring Theatre of Voices
When? 16-21 August 2021
Course fee: 300€/participant
For whom? The Vocal Ensemble @ Sibelius Summer Academy is inviting applications from existing vocal ensembles. University-level students of singing may also apply as individuals. Unfortunately we are not able to accept observing participants this time.
About the Theatre of Voices
One of the world’s foremost vocal groups, Theatre of Voices will visit the Sibelius Summer Academy in August 2019. The ensemble will teach at the Sibelius Academy, Uniarts Helsinki from 19th until 24th August 2019.
Theatre of Voices was established by Paul Hillier in 1990 in the UK. It now has its permanent base in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The ensemble is known for its extensive repertoire of contemporary music, often juxtaposed with early music. Its programmes feature many of the most eminent composers of recent times, including Kaija Saariaho, Heiner Goebbels, Berio, Pärt, Reich, Cage, Gudmundsen-Holmgreen and Stockhausen, while among its current favourite ‘early’ composers are Perotin, Dowland and Buxtehude.
How to apply
If you are applying as an ensemble:
- Ensembles may be between 2 and 12 singers in size. The course is primarily aimed at ensembles that work without a conductor, but you may also apply if your ensemble works with a conductor.
- You are invited to submit your own repertoire list (this may also include works outside the main repertoire focus of the course, eg. 20th-century works). Theatre of Voices will choose works from the course from your list. You may also be asked to work on music chosen for you by Theatre of Voices.
- Applications are invited from professional-level and music-student ensembles. High-level amateur ensembles (whose members have taken singing lessons and who have experience of singing in good amateur choirs) are also welcome to apply.
If you are applying as an individual, please note the following:
- Acceptance to the course will depend not only on the quality of your application, but also on whether the organisers are able to place you in an ensemble.
- You will work with music chosen by Theatre of Voices.
- You should currently be studying singing as a main or side subject at university level, or be a recent graduate with equivalent skills.
Applications should include a 10-minute unedited audio or video sample of your singing (ensemble singing if applying as a group, or solo singing if applying as an individual). Current Sibelius Academy students who have completed a C exam in singing are exempt from this requirement.